Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Why does my CPU usage jump to 100% when I move up from a sub folder to a main folder??

I DJ off my laptop, an HP Pavillion DV 5000 with an AMD Turion 64bit processor and 512MB RAM. I store all my music in a folder on my hard drive in sub folders. Whenever I move from viewing a subfolder to viewing the main folder my CPU usage hits the roof and it causes the music to jump. Any ideas on how to solve this. (BTW the processor's runing at about 2% capacity before I try to move between folders)Why does my CPU usage jump to 100% when I move up from a sub folder to a main folder??
ok here we go





the processor will obey the OS and allocate the required resources as IT sees fit. because explorer is the core of the OS it obviously thinks that it should have priority over most of the remaining processes, including whatever it is you are using for music playback





the only option i can think of is to open task manager (CTRL+ALT+DELETE) go to the application for music, right click it and go to process. once there right click and select 'set priotity' and select HIGH. this moves the application up the pecking order and is therfore less likely to be affected.





you will need to do this every time you open the application, i.e. once a nightWhy does my CPU usage jump to 100% when I move up from a sub folder to a main folder??
Your hard drive may be too slow to keep up with the cpu so the cpu gets slowed down. Hard drives with 5400 rpms are quite slow at moving files. 7200 is much better.
Instead of storing in the sub folder just store in ';My Music'; cause you might have a lot lot music loaded in your sub folder and when you like to jump from it-it's so natural your CPU usage jumps.Or create a partition for your music storage.
Press CTRL, ALT and DEL and open Task manager (it may open automatically, depending on your version of windows.) Click on the CPU column header until some numbers appear. (your basically ordering the column in order of use). the largest number will be the one tying up your system, it is most likely System Idle Process, this is windows organising your hard drive to make i more efficient, BUT it does this all the time and you can't stop it...
maybe virus ....
  • emo hair
  • hair show
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment