Monday, August 16, 2010

Little long, but please help a fellow music lover/aspiring DJ. I need a little (lot) of advice please?

I am a 15 year old guy who has recently discovered the wonderful danceable nature of techno/trance.





Now, the music that is generally played at dances at my school is truly terrible and we also have a terrible DJ, and for people who have any sense of what's good music, this makes the dances significantly less enjoyable. Now, I've been thinking about how to change this so people enjoy themselves more, and I've decided to volunteer to be the school DJ next year, to try to get better mixes going for the school.





my problem is this: I have no experience DJ-ing, very little techno (although I plan to get a whole lot of the stuff you have in your mix videos), and no idea how to go about this whole affair. I would like to try to learn over the summer though, and as a fellow lover of fine dance beats, I would like to enlist your help in my endeavor.





so here are my questions:


1. what equipment and software do I need (speakers etc. provided of course, but I'm due to get a new laptop, and advice on good models would be most helpful, as well as whatever programs are helpful in DJing projects)





2. Could you suggest some good mixes to get me started practicing with, or just artists, or really anything to do with the tracks, also, I don't really have a job so I was hoping some advice on getting large quantities of music for low prices (buying in bulk? I dunno.)





3. And finally, I need ways to practice, advice on what makes a good mix, all the thittle things that add up to a really great job as a DJ. Just so you know, I'm a professional musician, and I know what good music sounds like etc., also, I love all types of music, so mixes with things other than techno/trance are just as good.





Thank you so much, your help is greatly appreciated,


--ToesLittle long, but please help a fellow music lover/aspiring DJ. I need a little (lot) of advice please?
Toes, you sound like an intelligent and thoughtful guy who will go far with just a little help. So here's what to do: hook up with some local DJs who are good at what they do. Maybe offer to help them carry their gear in exchange for some DJing lessons. DJing is not that hard, but you'll learn a lot faster if you are shown the basics by someone who has mastered them already.

No comments:

Post a Comment