Wednesday, August 11, 2010

How do I set up these turntables with my laptop?

I am wanting to setup 2 Pioneer CDJ 800 MK1's to my laptop. I want to be able to play my MP3s from my computer and be able to scratch and mix them with this equipment. I already have Virtual DJ Pro installed my my laptop as well. I have not purchased an external mixer yet, but plan on doing so. Is this type of setup possible? The turntables don't have usb connections, so some people have told me no...please help thanks!How do I set up these turntables with my laptop?
First off, the folks telling you that you can't because they don't have usb connections have no clue what they are talking about. There are some toy solutions that use usb for direct control, but pro solutions generally use timecoded audio, for which you can use ANY cd players or turntables.





You will want to buy a hardware interface system. These systems come packaged with software much more professional than Virtual DJ. What these systems do is convert audio from special timecoded cds into control signals for the computer. The interface ';listens'; to the sound as it is manipulated, and it tells the computer how to play the mp3. This all happens with very little latency (delay) when you use better systems.





I endorse the industry standard system, Serato Scratch Live. Serato is installed in most better clubs in cities, so it is very easy to interface wherever you are playing. Just plug your laptop in and go! Serato includes an interface, timecoded vinyl and cds, as well as fresh software that allows the DJ to spin with true creativity. Most software these days uses algorithms to do the work for the DJ, but what you get is a mix that sounds like it is done by a computer. Serato feels and sounds like spinning real records. http://www.pssl.com/Rane-Serato-Scratch-鈥?/a>





Another new product that seems really cool and exciting to me is Traktor SKratch Duo by Native Instruments. This is a brand new system; I don't know anyone who has used it personally. All I know is that its ';big brother'; Traktor Skratch Pro is a BEAST. Duo is $200 less than Serato, but I would recommend it above any system in its price range, just because it appears to have the same control mechanism as its big brother. http://www.pssl.com/Native-Instruments-T鈥?/a>





I do NOT recommend any other solution if you want to do this professionally, in front of people.





Good Luck!





PS - You will need that mixer, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment