Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How to attach my cars subwoofer to a laptop?

hey I was just wondering if anybody could help me I'm setting up a little dj system nothing special i have a couple speakers and a 900watt subwoofer with all the wires and a dell inspiron laptop and just wanted to know if there was a way to connect the sub to my laptop i also have all the wires and amp this came out of my car


thanks, caseyHow to attach my cars subwoofer to a laptop?
It's very difficult to run a 12V car amp on house power. I did it briefly by connecting it to a car battery connected to a battery charger. I'm just saying I did it. I'm not recommending you do it because apparently that was dangerous both to my health and to my equipment.





If you can get around that (like with an actual 120V amplifier that can handle your speakers which are likely 4ohm) you'll need some sort of signal processor to be sure the subs only get the low frequencies and not the highs and then you'll need a whole separate setup to amp those high frequencies so you don't just hear bass....





...why are you doing this again? lol





To the guy that recommended the computer power supply: That's only slightly less dangerous than the car battery method. At least there aren't a bunch of acids involved! If you bought the biggest power supply you could find it might work at low volumes, but this is all still a terrible idea.How to attach my cars subwoofer to a laptop?
Yes, it can be done!





What you need to do is....





Purchase an RCA-to Headphone Jack Cable. This will connect the output of the laptop's sound to the input on either the amp, or the amplifier, or etc...








If you need a +12V constant, what you can do is setup a ghetto amplifier - that is: purchase a computer powersupply, and then use it as an amplifier. I would not recommend that you purchase multiple ones because they may not be on the same frequency, but you can try.





Then its just like in the car. The computer powersupply will provide the 12 volts and you should be set?

No comments:

Post a Comment