Monday, August 16, 2010

How do I get started with Softsynth/Sequencing on a Laptop?

I need somewhere to get started... there seems to be so many options for making music on a computer these days. I play traditional piano and clarinet and want to get (back) into composing and arranging. Can somebody provide a website or some other reference to make sense out of all the options in the computer music software scene? Some particular wishes:





I would like to create my own scores, play them with virtual instruments and print out the parts for friends to play along with. I would like to create my own drum patterns (and other percussion), use odd time signatures, and create sounds (but not necessarily sample sounds). In other words I don't need a ';dj-oriented looping sequencer';. Any ideas on how to get started?How do I get started with Softsynth/Sequencing on a Laptop?
You can try googling ';download make music staff notation software'; if you want a program that caters more towards those who prefer the music staff. I believe a few different DAWs support staff notation... Pro Tools, Cakewalk... Sibelius, I believe.





After a quick google... yes, check out Sibelius. Link below.





Most DAW's use midi piano roll notation, which although isn't necessarily going to be as easy to read and understand in terms of musical notation, once you get used to it its not too difficult to translate across.





I also googled ';download make music staff notation software support vsti'; to look for programs that specifically support VSTi's... this is the ';virtual instrument'; style of plugin, one that is more or less universal throughout different types of editors, so hopefully that search will help you out a little more as well.





I found Finale that way.... at least some versions of it support this type of format. Again, something worth looking at - link below.





I, personally, have always tried to approach music as cheaply as possible.... Reaper is an example of a multitracking program that supports these types of plugins, virtual instruments and effects, etc. It uses a MIDI piano roll, but that works decently for me. It has a very, very generous trial period, and buying it is very inexpensive compared to many programs with similar features (ie Pro Tools!).





Link below to that, as well.





Finally, I don't know where you're at in terms of just knowledge, but I know that the KVR Audio page has at least some information to get started. It also has a big database of plugins, editors, etc. I look for free/cheap plugins and virtual instruments there all the time!





Link below, etc.





I hope some of this has helped.... good luck!





PS If you're recording, don't forget to look up latency compensation!








SaulHow do I get started with Softsynth/Sequencing on a Laptop?
Get a DAW such as Cubase/Nuendo/Pro Tools/Reaper.





Get a load of VST instruments and install them for whichever DAW you've got (as simple as putting the .dll in your VST folder).





Make music. ;o
Hi


i would say Dan has his finger on the pulse man

No comments:

Post a Comment