Wednesday, August 11, 2010

How do I properly connect laptop with cdj's and mixer?

Can someone please explain to me how I go about integrating my laptop with my dj equipment?





So I have a MacBook and I'd like to be able to use it with my mixer and cdj's. I'm thinking about getting traktor, the thing is though I'd like to be able to switch from cdj's to laptop and back, both cd's and comp. music files (use the laptop as an extra deck). What do I need? Do I need extra headphones for the laptop and so on. If you know of a link that would be helpful too. Thanks!How do I properly connect laptop with cdj's and mixer?
Hey.





This video should explain how to connect your laptop with the mixer (Virtual DJ is also similiar to Traktor).





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNdrAqV5r鈥?/a>





Watch at around 5:50 where he talks about these USB cables.





But basically there should be USB cables 2.0 that plugs from your CDJ's and mixer into your laptop (You need 3 USB plugs on your computer).





I'm not sure about the settings on Traktor, I personally use Virtual DJ and Serato Scratch Live.





To tweak your settings in your laptop software:





You have to go to your settings (Config - Virtual DJ).


Go to outputs and choose Mixer.


Go to Sound cards and select two sound cards. Choose your two CDJ's (they have inbuilt sound cards).





Please don't use Virtual DJ / Traktor at events, or at least conceal that you are. DJ's are very critical of other DJ's and if they catch you PCDJing, you are considered a crap DJ. But I use it sometimes so don't worry (to see the waveform and to play songs off my computer).





I'm not too sure you can use your laptop as an extra deck. You will need extra sound cards (since the laptop doesnt plug into the extra channels in the mixer).





That answers your question for extra headphones, one headphone should be enough to monitor all the channels from your mixer. You don't need another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment